Monday, November 29, 2010

Coastal Erosion

This little oil painting is based on a photo I took at Ocean Shores, Washington. The beach near the North Jetty is eroding. This particular area used to be one where a person could walk directly from the main rode to the beach on a smooth, flat path. After a couple of years of wild storms, there is now a big cliff where a smooth walk to the beach used to exist. Recently I read an article that stated it is more likely coastal communities will fall into the ocean as a result of erosion instead of being drowned by the rising sea level caused by global warming. I wonder which theory will prove to be reality. In my dream world, neither will happen and we will all live happily ever after. If only dreams came true.

Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely painting of this geologically dynamic setting!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks Kathy--it was with mixed emotions that I painted this one. I loved the challenge, but was sad about the loss of the previous landscape.

Bonnie Heather said...

Ooooh I love this one Kathy.