Monday, June 3, 2013

Spider and Fly

Today's painting is the final result of layers and layers of paint, glue, paper, paint, and ink.  There are quite a few different media below the surface of this painting.  It began as an experiment using glue to create texture.  I drew the outline of a dragonfly with black glue onto an 11x14 inch canvas.  Then I added some texture with clear glue.  Then I got the idea of adding color with torn paper  and collage.  Then I decided I didn't like the way the dragon fly was looking, so I painted the entire surface with red paint.  The outline of the dragonfly still was showing and the more I looked at him, the less I liked him.  My next step was to draw some random geometric shapes with black paint.  Using some additional paint in yellow, blue, and white, I painted in some of the geometric shapes.  Finally, I splattered some alcohol ink on top.  I think the dragonfly has been annihilated, his corpse is hiding under a web of all those layers of paint, paper, glue, and ink.  Now I'm satisfied.  I must have been a spider in my previous life.  Reproductions of this works are available from my website.  Fine art prints, canvas prints, metal prints, or greeting cards can be purchased in a variety of sizes.  If you are interested in owning the original, please contact me at smallimpressions@hotmail.com.

2 comments:

Atul Pande said...

This is so beautiful it could be the design for a stained glass gothic church-window.

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thank you! It is so nice to hear kind words about my work.