Sunday, October 20, 2013

Loving the Landscape

My paintings seem to emerge in spurts. I will paint a still life paintings for weeks or months, then move to abstracts, then to landscapes, then cycle through again.  Right now it seems I am moving back to landscapes.  It isn't a conscience decision; it just seems to happen.

This painting was inspired by a trip to Central Oregon a couple of summers ago.  As part of the trip, my family and I ventured to Smith Rock State Park.  It is a very diverse landscape.  Rugged rocks and cliffs make up a portion of the park, but the Crooked River runs along the edge and provides enough water for Pine trees and grassy vegetation to make a life.  We started out hiking Misery Ridge, which is very aptly named.  It is steep, rocky, and not for people who get nervous with heights. But, once the summit is reached, there is a beautiful view and you can meander down to the River Trail.  This original painting was based on a view along the River Trail.  The painting is 8x10 inches, but larger reproduction prints are available for sale here along with some of my other Oregon landscape paintings.

No comments: