Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Poplars on the River--Left Overs--American Landscape Oil Painting

I have painted this scene several times because I am drawn to the color of the trees. In this painting Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Ultramarine Blue, Alizarin Crimson, and Zinc White were used in addition to leftover paint from some previous work. I recycled my paint by scraping my pallette after a previous painting, mixing all the left overs together, and plopping the pile onto a corner of my pallette. It created a neutral green that worked well in this landscape. The hills in the background were created exclusively using my leftover paint and adding blue and white to adjust the values. I liked the neutral green as it could be so easily modified by adding another color. The underbrush below the trees was developed with the leftover paint and a little Cadmium Yellow. The rocks in the foreground were left over paint and Zinc White. I used a little Ultramarine Blue to create the shadows on the rocks. Adding more blue to the left overs finished off the river. The exercise resulted in some satisfying work. The painting is 5x7 inches on a gessoed hardboard surface.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: