Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Autumn Birches--Original Landscape Oil Painting

Today's painting was an experiment with a new tube of paint. Recently I purchased a tube of Windsor and Newton's Terra Rosa. Beginning with a black panel, I blocked in my shapes. In addition to Terra Rosa, I used Cadmium Orange, Ultramarine Blue, Titanium White, and Naples Yellow as highlights in the grass and to represent some of the leaves. I liked the way the Terra Rosa mixed with the orange and white. It is a strong, opaque color and I'm glad to add it to my collection of paints. When this little 5x7 inch painting dries, I will probably sell it in my Etsy Gallery along with some of my other tree paintings.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Atul Pande said...

Nancy: This is a nice little piece. I love the use of blue for the aspens (?). It just seems right.

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

Nancy, The shadows on the trees are wonderful! It makes me wish I were there! I love a new green I found that I used in one of my tree collages a few weeks ago...so much fun to try new colors!

Unknown said...

Nancy, those beautiful blue trunks really stand out. Thanks for talking about Terra Rosa, I've been wanting to try it for a while and didn't quite know what to do with it!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Every time I order paint, I like to try something new. Once in a while I find a color I really love--Transparent Earth Red by Gamblin is one of my true loves.