Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sunset Canoe--American Twilight Oil Painting

Today's 5x7 inch oil painting was an experiment. Though I've painted on black gessoed panels before, I've never attempted a sunset on a black panel. Traditionally sunsets are bright. A black undercoat prevents the reflection of light necessary for the brilliance a sunset might suggest. I tried it anyway. It isn't as colorful as a typical sunset, but it has an interesting quality that suggests the time just before sundown. A fun little experiment.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Christine said...

Nancy, this is lovely! You are right, the black gesso does create a very different effect on a sunset, but I think it adds to it. It creates kind of a "quietness" to the scene that I would imagine to be present. Well done!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you like it!