Monday, June 21, 2010

To Frame or Not?

Today's painting is the second in my Yellow Wall series. Now I'm debating framing. Each of these paintings was created on a stretched canvas painted on the sides and stapled on the back. Many people like canvases with back staples and painted sides because framing is not considered necessary. I've hung several paintings in this manner and the lack of additional framing cost does feel pretty good, but I still think paintings without frames look unfinished. In my opinion, framing finishes the work, but it must be completede carefully. A bad frame will make a good piece of art look bad, but a bad painting can look good in a great frame. I'm going to spend my morning looking at frames. I'm thinking a floater might be good for this series.


Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

PS...this unsolicited advice came from the big mouth frog inside of me...:) sorry! lol

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

I'm lovin this yellow wall series Nancy...Oh how the debate goes on about frames and finishes for sides...my last visit to an art show I FOCUSED on JUST this...and saw EVERYTHING...my conclusion was...whatever we do...make it consistent...looks awesome!!

Janets Planet said...

Love this yellow wall series. I like to use canvas floaters on the gallery wraps.

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

I agree--floaters will be my direction. I appreciate the feedback!