Thursday, January 15, 2009

Evening of the Pears--Original Still Life Oil Painting

This little 5x7 inch oil painting is finally at a point where I like it. I began on one of my black panels. Working wet in wet, I worked a little too long and the paint muddied. I considered whiping it off and starting over, but instead let it dry, planning to cover it up and create something new. When it was dry, I changed my mind and worked on it some more. I brightened up the sunlit side of the pears, darkened some of the interior of the bowl, and added the highlights to both the pears and the bowl. Now I'm happy with the painting. When it dries completely, I will list it in my Etsy Shop along with some of my other small fruit paintings.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nancy, the blue reflections really make these pairs appear three dimensional. You are certainly a master at fruit! Do you paint from real life?

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Beautiful rich colors on this one Nancy! I love how you have used the near complimentary colors to make this little painting pop!
~Melody

Debbie Turner Chavers said...

Really interesting. I have not painted on dark board yet. I am going to give it a try. I have added you to my blog site. Great job!
Debbie

Jennifer Lommers said...

I Love these pears! The brushstrokes of the Pear skin are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thank you all for the kind words. When I paint fruit, I prefer to paint from life. It is difficult for me to capture light and shadow effectively when working from a photo. My best work is from life.