Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Winter on the Lake--Original Landscape Oil Painting

The weather today was gray and cold--typical winter weather. It is sometimes hard get inspired to paint landscapes when everything has a drab overcast, but I was able to work through it today by using up my left over paint. When I clean my palette, I scrape all the little bits of left over paint to one corner. Mixed together, those little bits will usually produce some shade of gray. Today's little 5x7 inch oil painting was made from those little scraped off bits. I mixed some fresh ultramarine with sap green to get the darks and added some white to create some lighter mixtures, but the majority of this painting is made from left over paint. It was wonderful practice with values. I used up all my left over paint which made me feel pretty good on a gray, overcast day in the middle of winter.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Nothing to See said...

This is quite sweet.

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thank you, Ana!

Michele Reed said...

Brrrr....this little painting actually makes me feel cold! Very nice, Nancy.

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks Michele!