Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lettuce use Burnt Umber

Yesterday, while I was out looking at frames, I stopped by our local Half Price Books store. Every once in a while I find a rare art book for a really reasonable price. Sometimes I pick up a book that I wouldn't pay full price for, but at half the price, it lands in my shopping cart. This painting was an experiment inspired by yesterday's half-price purchase of Color Mixing The Van Wyk Way. She advocated using Cad Yellow Light, Thalo Yellow Green, Burnt Umber, Ivory Black, and white to paint a head of lettuce. I have all of these colors, but the Burnt Umber and Ivory Black are never on my palette, so when I squeezed out a little color to experiment, I was fully expecting a mess of a painting. To my amazement, the umber and black mixed beautifully with the Thalo Yellow Green and produced a wonderful range of greens. I'll be doing some more experimenting with these colors in the future since I'm happy the way this turned out. I'm not sure if this book is still in print and I know Helen Van Wyk has passed, but the book turned out to be a very worthy purchase.

Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

sarah said...

This did come out nice, I may give those colors a try!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks, Sarah. I'm going to do some more experimenting, too. It is fun to make new discoveries.

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

YEA for new discoveries Nancy! Love the way these colors came out! And, as always...I love your view of things!