Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fruit and Mint


Click here to purchase.

Inspired by the unruly mint growing in my yard and the fresh nectarines on my table, today's painting includes a plant for which I am planning certain death.  If you've never grown mint, beware; it is a carnivore.  A few years ago, a friend gave me a small mint plant.  She warned me that it spreads easily, so I probably shouldn't plant it in the garden.  Instead I planted it in a small flower pot, assured that it would be great on my deck.  Needless to say, I was careless.  It went to seed and blew all over the back yard.  I didn't really pay too much attention, not knowing it could result in disaster.  The next year there were mint plants in the garden, plants that were not invited.  They were pretty and smelled nice, so I let them continue sharing a home with the rest of the yard even though they were not on the guest list.  Now, several years later, it has invaded the entire north side of the garden.  It is beautiful and smells delicious, but it is greedy and won't share with other plants.  So, as soon as the weather cools, this selfish little beauty will be pulled out, doused with Round-Up, and no funeral will be held.  The painting is 12x12 inches on a gallery-wrapped canvas and can be purchased here at my Daily Paintworks Gallery.  The paint is wet, so it will be several weeks before it can be safely shipped to a new home. I promise not to include any small starts or seeds.  Canvas and paint only. 

No comments: