Sunday, April 19, 2015

Winter Sunset Discovery

Several years ago I won a basic set of Winsor Newton Griffin Alkyd Oil Paints in an art competition, but I never used them. They sat in the closet forgotten until this past week when I was  packing for a trip to the coast. On the spur of the moment, I threw them in my suitcase along with a few canvases. The box was small and didn't take up much room unlike my collection of acrylics and regular oil paints. Later in the week, I pulled them out. With only three primary colors and white, I began to paint. The paint was smooth and creamy and had a consistency just like my regular oils. It was fun and I enjoyed it, but the best part was that the paint was dry by the next morning. I couldn't believe it. I have painted with regular oils for years, waiting days, even weeks for the paint to dry. It was always a challenge to paint when travelling. Many times I just left my paints at home rather than lug wet panel carriers and all my usual paraphernalia. From now on, when I travel, these will be my paints of choice. The above painting was created on a 9x12 inch stretched canvas using my favorite new paints. Reproductions are available here on paper or canvas. For now I am going to hold on to the original, but I may eventually sell it in my Etsy Shop along with some of my other small format paintings.

No comments: