Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Canvas or Hardboard--What is the best surface for painting?

Today's painting on stretched canvas is an 8x10 commission that I just completed based on an earlier small study. Most of the time I paint on gessoed hardboard panels for my small works because they are sturdy and will last more than a life time. Over the years, it is more likely that a painting on canvas will be accidentally damaged than one on hardboard. Pressure on the canvas can cause puncturing, stretching, or tearing, especially if the painting is moved or placed in storage without proper precautions. I've seen more damaged paintings on canvas than I care to recall. Because of pressure point accidents, I prefer to use a sturdy support. The challenge with hardboard comes with larger paintings. The heaviness of large panels can make them difficult to hang. In that case, canvas is a useful alternative. The new owner-to-be of this painting requested a painting on stretched canvas with painted sides. I understand the logic--no frame will be required creating a reasonably priced work of art. Frames are expensive. Nevertheless, caution is my credo when it comes to canvas.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

Beautiful painting! I love everything about it. The colors, the wood grain against the cool blue bowl. And those vibrant pears.

Thank you for sharing.

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thank you, Brittany. I'm glad you like it!