Monday, June 9, 2008

Warm--Original American Landscape Color Study

This past weekend I worked on some color studies. This one was my favorite. I painted the same simple landscape four times. The first study I focused on vlues in a high key. I may post the results later in the week. The second study I focused on values in a lower key--an interesting comparison. Perhaps I'll post it later as well. This 5x7 study is the third effort. I used a limited palette of Cadmium Yellow, Napthol Red, and Cerulean Blue Hue. To say the painting was "warm" is a bit of an understatement. It resulted in some really hot colors, but I liked it best. The final version of the landscape was a limited palette of "cool colors." It was interesting to see the comparison of the warm and cool palette. The cool palette was comprised of Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Lemon, and Alizarin Crimson. Although both paintings produced sunny results, the "cool" palette was a little more realistic. I'm a colorist at heart, so the painting above was the most attractive to me. I used the Artist's Color Wheel and the Artist's Value Wheel at Handprint to help me in these exercises. They were so handy I added them as a permanent feature to my blog. Check the links in the right column if you think they might be useful.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Cecelia said...

Very interesting. Wonderful colors! I did something similar in watercolors in the spring. I did a tree in an empty lot, and did it 7 different ways, using various kinds of color harmonies. That was a very interesting experiment to try.
It's so nice to see other artists' work and read about their process in creating.