Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Back to the Road

Recently I have moved back to painting roads.  The demands are diverse and give me an opportunity to work on a number of skills, all about perspective.  The ability to paint proper aerial perspective is the first requirement that comes to mind.  As subjects move into the distance, the colors required to paint a realistic depiction changes as blue moves into the paint and yellow moves out.  Secondly, I have to focus on the geometry of the road and how it decreases in shape and size as it moves into the distance.  If I don't get it right, it doesn't look like a road.  Moving away from objects in the painting is also a consideration.  I have to ask myself a series of questions.  Do they overlap?  What is the relationship in size and how do I depict that? And lastly, I have to consider edges.  The closer objects have sharper edges than the objects in the distance. So, you can see why I like to paint road scenes. So many challenges keep me thinking and on my toes.  The original painting displayed above was created with professional grade oil paints on a stretched 8x10 inch canvas.  It is available in my Etsy Shop of small format original paintings in the landscape section.  Prints and reproductions are available in a variety of sizes and surfaces from my website in the landscape gallery.  I have several additional road paintings I've been working on, but the paint isn't dry yet.  I'll let you see them when they are finished if you check back again soon.

No comments: