Sunday, May 9, 2010

Carbon River Abstraction

Yesterday I took a wonderful 35 mile bike ride on the Foothills Trail that runs through the Orting Valley below Mount Rainier and along the Carbon River in Washington State. The weather was gorgeous and I stopped to snap photos all along the route. This 16x20 inch oil painting is the result of some of the inspiration I took home. After experimenting with several underpaintings on smaller versions, I settled on this combination of a red underpainting and large brushes.

Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , ,

5 comments:

Gwen Bell said...

Love that bright pop of yellow green against the dark reds!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks, Gwen. I painted several versions of this before deciding on a color scheme. So glad to hear it works!

Christine said...

Lovely! Your color choices are truly unique. I am inspired by the way you are pushing yourself to try new styles and larger canvases!
Christine

Unknown said...

I gasped when I opened this, Nancy! It's loaded with beautiful drama! WOW!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks so much. I've enjoyed painting larger--just wish I had more time!