Saturday, December 27, 2008

Just a Pear--Original Small Format Oil Painting

Back at work after the holidays. Though this little painting looks quite simple, it was a challenge because of the perspective. As you know, I often paint apples from this perspective, but pears present an interesting opportunity to model the shape. Looking at the perimeter, it is the same shape as the apple. It is the shading that makes it become a pear. To get the shadows in just the right place, I had to squint carefully and translate the shading carefully, or I would end up with another apple. The painting is 5x7 inches in oil on gessoed MDF hardboard.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy,

Nicely done...as an oil painter, I appreciate the challenge that this must have presented!

Joni

Unknown said...

You have really mastered this, Nancy. I can't even do these properly from a frontward perspective. ; )
happy holidays!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks Joni & Nancy--Your kind words are appreciated. Now if I could just get it right every time. :)