Saturday, December 13, 2008

Sunflowers--Original Small Still Life Oil Painting

Flowers are not a subject I paint often, but the rainy weather of December made this trio of sunflowers a most tempting subject. I wasn't sure if success would come because I seldom paint flowers, but I'm pleased with the results. A dark background sets of the brilliance of the yellow petals quite well. I used Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Light, Cadmium Lemon Yellow, and Transparent Orange to create the thick impasto of the petals. I'm almost tempted to try another flower painting, but I'll have to think hard on that temptation. This painting is 5x7 inches on a gessoed hardboad panel. When it dries, I will list it for sale in my Etsy Gallery.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Sanghi said...

Hey really lovely. Those yellow petals are gorgeous. even i too love to paint yellow flowers, they look so cute.

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thank you for commenting--your kind words are appreciated!

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Beautiful!

Brent Perkins said...

This is great!