Monday, January 4, 2010

Vessel--Getting the Proportions Right

I'm still on a fruit-painting binge. Fruit is forgiving because it isn't perfect. A crooked pear, a lopsided orange, it doesn't matter because nature isn't perfect. Fruits and vegetables allow for errors in drawing thus making it easy to continue my fruit-painting addiction without constant reminders of how inadequate my skills may be. One thing I know for sure is that a lack of skill definitely shows when manufactured items appear in my still life painting. A cup, a bowl, a plate, or a tea pot, mistakes in drawing show. Thus, I took some time out from my little fruit-painting spree and concentrated on a manufactured item which serves to keep me humble. If the porportions aren't accurate, it is obvious. A crooked handle, a lopsided bowl, the errors show immediately. I forced myself to concentrate on accuracy of my drawing before painting this little vessel. Though I'm happy with the way it turned out, it served to keep me humble and focused. While I will probably continue to work on more of my little fruit paintings, I'm making a resolution to work on vessels and paint for accuracy every once in a while. My paintings can be purchased at Small Impressions Gallery. This 5x7 inch oil painting on a canvas panel may eventually join the rest, but for now, it will serve to help me remember that I need to keep working on proportions and do it frequently.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Sandra Galda said...

really nice, a really attractive painting...!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks Sandra-glad you like it!